Tech Spot

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

McTech

OK, I just read an article about McDonald's restaurants going all high-tech and couldn't help scratch my head in confusion. No, it doesn't say they're installing any new high-tech grills or friars, nor any non-human drive-thru window associate. Nor does it promise that when you order a burger with no mayo, you'll actually get one without it.

What it does say though is that McDonald's, the American icon of fast food, is trying to get customers to stay longer (as well as increase repeat visits) at their restaurants so they could, well, increase their BMI (Body Mass Index) at a quicker pace. A while ago, taking a clue from yuppie establishments like Starbucks and Panera Bread, McDonald's started to experiment offering Wi-Fi access. Mind you, I haven't been to a McDonald's in quite a while, so I'd be curious to see people having lunch as grease drips in slow-mo over their laptop keyboards.

As Wi-Fi wasn't enough, now, according to this article, people can buy music, ringtones or even print photos as their fries get cold. Ah, yes, I can imagine the romantic conversations over freshly printed photos... "Honey, you look great in this pic stuffing your mouth with that double-extra HugeMac and fries and that Diet Coke!"

Being a business owner myself, I applaud creative but effective ways that companies apply to increase store traffic and sales. But this one sure caught me by surprise. I always thought McDonald's success was based on "cheap food - fast." Don't just take my word for it, here's what this iconic company proclaims:
Is one of the world's most well-known and valuable brands and holds a leading share in the globally branded quick service restaurant segment of the informal eating-out market in virtually every country in which we do business. So, highly-paid execs, how does this new high-tech expense support your 60+ years global image?

For many years, McDonald's tried to bring in more kids into their restaurants and try to make them stay longer (read: eat more grease) by building playgrounds inside their establishments. Now that kids have already become obese, why not do the same with those few adults who have escaped the obesity attack?

Link to the article I mention above.

1 Comments:

  • This blog should be RSS-ing fine, I think... . The other one (General Mumblings) maybe isn't because I'm hosting it's hosted elsewhere.

    Thanks for reading Bridget!

    By Blogger shqipo, at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home